Antique Furniture Dealers In Toronto
Looking to value an antique piece or purchase one? There are many antique dealers, but finding the right one can be a challenge.
Antique Furniture Store in Toronto:
Carrocel Fine Furniture an award-winning antique furniture store in Toronto with one of the best collections of antique furniture in the Greater Toronto Area. We update our antique furniture inventory listed on our website with some of the finest creations from around the world. Be sure to check back often as we are regularly adding new arrivals and updating the pieces on our website, so it is always current. In the 30 years of operation, we have established ourselves as a leading and trusted source of the highest quality furniture, including original antique and vintage pieces of furniture in original condition or professionally restored by master craftsmen. We take unmeasurable pride in enhancing the homes and lifestyles of customers in Toronto and around the world. We also believe in the ornate and simplistic beauty of furniture, allowing us to help you transform any space into what you envision.
Here are some tips on finding a reputable dealer:
- Look up the yellow pages or ask family and friends who are into antiquing to provide some references.
- If you are looking to sell an item, always research the value. It’s a good idea to get at least two or three price comparisons.
- Check out the antique dealer’s reputation and how many years they have been in business. The Internet offers a lot of information, including customer reviews. The Better Business Review rating is definitely one you can trust.
- Visit a couple of antique stores. Get a good look at the dealer’s collection as well as the pricing. Pay close attention to the workmanship, especially if you are looking to buy an antique.
- Ask for references. It is acceptable to ask the dealer for references from some clients. Customer service and satisfaction is a good indication of how the dealer conducts business.
Carrocel fine furniture store and restorations is among the top antique dealers in Toronto. Carrocel furniture have been in business since 1983, providing more than 30 years of stellar service. We have a huge 7,500 sq. ft. showroom with a wide variety of unique and timeless pieces, and suites for you to browse through. If you need help finding (or valuing) a particular item, a knowledgeable and courteous furniture specialist is always on hand to attend to your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How Can You Tell If Antique Furniture Is Real?
Finding authentic antique furniture can be a little overwhelming if you do not know what to look for. Below are some sure-fire ways to help you know if the piece you are considering is real.
Look for dovetailing
Typically found in drawers, the sides of cabinets, and other places where two pieces of wood join, dovetail joints are a sign of quality craftsmanship in woodworking and have been used for centuries in home furnishings. Additionally, check to see if the dovetailing has perfectly straight edges and lines. Perfect dovetails indicate that they have been cut by a machine, and the piece might not be antique. On the other hand, irregularly shaped joints show that the work was done by hand and could be antique.
Multiple types of wood are a good thing
Traditionally, craftsmen did not see the need for using valuable wood in places that no one would see. As such, check the drawers and bottom of chairs for wood of different types. If it is all the same, it may be a reproduction.
Beware of furniture that has been made to look old
Look out for furniture that looks old even though it is not actually old. Look for visible, true signs of wear like pockets of dirt in the corner or worn-down drawer runners or corners.
Do a thorough search for labels or stamps
Stamps, labels, and manufacturing tags are reliable indicators of where and when a piece of furniture was made. You can find this information on the lower edges of a piece, inside the drawers and on the back of bureaus. However, the labels can be faked, so look for signs of ageing here as well.
As is the case with perfect dovetails, perfect symmetry is typically a sign of being made by a machine. Furniture done by hand tends not to have uniform construction, and small differences in shape and size are noticeable.
Q2. Do Antique Furniture Pieces Hold Their Value?
In most cases, antique furniture can be a considerable investment. Therefore, it helps to purchase pieces that will hold their value well over time, even with repeated use. Due to the high-quality materials and craftsmanship used to create them, antique furniture has a better chance of retaining value than modern machine-made furniture.
Q3. What is the Difference Between Antique and Vintage?
As a general rule, something that is antique is also vintage. However, vintage items are not necessarily antique. Antique refers to things that are over 100 years old, whereas vintage refers to something that is from an earlier generation.
Q4. What Is the Best Finish for Antique Furniture?
Shellac has been widely adopted and promoted as the proper finish for 18th and 19th-century antique furniture and subsequent reproductions as it is the finish most likely used during that time.
Q5. Where Can I Find an Antique Furniture Store in Toronto?
Carrocel Fine Furniture is one of the most trusted antique furniture stores in Toronto. With decades of experience in the industry, we can help you find the right furniture for your space. Contact us today and let us help you find that piece or set of antique furniture you’ve been looking for.
Mistakes to Avoid When Buying from Antique Stores
There are a lot of antique stores in Toronto where you can find the perfect piece to add to your collection. However, it’s important to be aware of some common mistakes people make when shopping in antique stores. Here are some mistakes that you should avoid when buying antiques:
- Not Checking for Damage: Before you commit to a purchase, make sure that the item isn’t too worn or damaged. Check for chips, scratches, and other signs of wear. If the piece is upholstered, check the upholstery for any signs of tearing or damage as well.
- Not Looking the Item Over: When you’re in an antique store, make sure to take time to examine the piece up close. Look for any signs of repair work, mismatched hardware, or other irregularities that may indicate a hidden problem.
- Buying For the Wrong Reasons: Avoid the temptation to buy items just because they’re cheap or unique. Make sure you really love the piece and that it fits into your home before making a purchase.
- Not Doing Your Research: Before you buy an item, make sure that you know what it is and how much it’s worth. Do some research into the item’s history, origin, and current market value so that you don’t end up paying too much or buying something of little value. The last thing you should do when perusing a furniture store is to make an impulse buy.
- Looking for Perfection: Remember that antiques come with a certain amount of wear and tear. Don’t expect an item to be in mint condition, or you may end up feeling disappointed. Instead, look for pieces that retain their charm despite showing signs of use. Many pieces will have wear that is expected for the age of the piece, which can add to its story and appeal.
- Upholstered Pieces that Smell: Before you buy an upholstered piece, make sure that the fabric doesn’t have an unpleasant smell. A musty or moldy odour could indicate a problem that would be difficult to fix. If the item in question does have an off-putting odour, you may not be able to get rid of it unless you completely reupholster the piece, which can be expensive.
Find A Dealer That Offers The Best Value And Service
As experienced and reputed antique dealers, you can count on Carrocel furniture store to look out for your best interests when you’re buying or selling. We also make fine antique furniture to meet your unique needs as well as repair and refinish pieces to restore their beauty.
The Carrocel difference:
- Endurance: We ensure that your antique furniture continues to be a part of your home or office for a long time.
- Beauty: We want your vintage furniture should take your breath away every time you look at it.
- Pride Of Ownership: We want you to have strong pride of ownership and the peace of mind that comes with knowing you have invested well in a piece of furniture.
- Highest Standards Of Service: To give you the best value, we aim to meet the highest standards in everything we do.
- Exceptional Workmanship: Our skilled and experienced artisans have a deep appreciation for fine furniture. They know how to make it and how to make it better.
- Finest Materials: We offer the finest woods from around the world, top quality fabrics and leathers, all selected specially for your furniture.
- Fair Pricing: Whether you are buying or selling, we ensure you get the best value.
- Convenient Delivery: Each piece is prepared and wrapped for safety. We deliver to local destinations in Toronto and the GTA, and ship to anywhere in the world.
- Customer Satisfaction: Our work is not complete until you are completely satisfied.