How to Bring Your Imagination to Life with Custom Furniture
The joy and sense of pride you get when filling your home with new furniture is special. Whether in a new home or as a re-design project, it represents a fresh start with endless possibilities. To make it more personalized, you can decorate each space with custom furniture and accessories that reflect your personality, lifestyle, and interests in a way that brings you joy, comfort and the all-important feeling of “home.”
That said, the actual process can pose quite a number of challenges as you make the crucial decisions you need to. With so many factors to consider, how do you make sure you cover all bases and bring your décor vision to life? Below is a comprehensive guide to help simplify the custom furniture buying process so you can get exactly what you envisioned.
What Is Custom Wooden Furniture?
Custom furniture refers to any piece you have provided input on to reflect your unique personality and preferences. This can include a particular design, wood, or upholstery material that easily resonates with you. Custom-made furniture is meticulously crafted and handmade with skill and precision. This makes it unique to you, your needs, and your lifestyle. It also ensures the furniture will last for years and look great.
Wood Types Used in Custom Wooden Furniture
Each variety of wood has unique qualities. These qualities that manufacturers use to determine the suitability of a particular wood for custom furniture pieces. While some types of wood are perfect for making tables, they may not be ideal for a bedframe or chairs.
The “hard” feature in hardwood is attributed to its dense fibres, which are due to the tree growing slow. This also makes the wood extremely durable and resistant to wear. Types of hardwood commonly used in the making of custom furniture include maple, walnut, and oak.
Although the various types of hardwood share some properties, not all are ideal for making furniture. With the range of fibre textures, colours, and styles, some are better suited for wooden flooring. The most common and popular types of hardwood used in making furniture are oak, mahogany, maple, and cherry.
- Oak, a very strong wood, stands out for its durability and is often used for pieces that need to withstand high use, such as dining tables and chairs.
- Maple, with its creamy off-white appearance, is preferred by people who want more pattern and colour in their furniture. The streaks and veins in some maple create spectacular visual interest when polished properly.
- Mahogany is another popular hardwood that stands out for its beauty, colour, and durability when making custom wooden furniture.
- Cherry tends to change colour as it ages, typically getting darker, with some taking on a deeper red or brown hue. Its enviable complexity makes it a popular choice for custom-made furniture.
In contrast to hardwood, softwood has less dense fibres, making it easier to manipulate and cut. Additionally, since the trees grow tall and straight, it is easier to get long wood planks. Common types of softwood include cedar, pine, redwood, spruce, fir, and juniper.
Softwood is typically used in structural frames, floor coverings, and fittings. Its ability to quickly absorb adhesives makes custom furniture made from softwood take on an attractive finish.
Softwood is also known for its light colour, higher sap content, fine texture, and for being lightweight. This makes it less resistant to denting, scratching, or damage than hardwood.
You may also come across custom furniture in Toronto that is made from engineered or manufactured wood. This is made of different types of wood put together in the form of particleboard and plywood.
- Particleboard, also known as fiberboard, is made by gluing together tiny fibres of lumber that have been broken down using a woodchipper. The adhesive used holds the fibres together into a solid structure.
- Plywood is made by gluing together several layers of thin lumber using a strong adhesive. The more layers plywood has, the more durable the custom furniture made from it will be.
Customizing the Feel of Your Furniture with Different Colours
Studies have shown that colour affects mood and can influence actions. As such, choosing décor colours, be it paint, furnishings, or accessories, is an important decision, as they help to set the mood and tone of each space.
You can use colour to shape how you, your family and your guests feel in different parts of your home. Although colours can invoke different feelings on a personal level, certain colours tend to elicit specific feelings universally:
- Blue – security, stability, reliability, and order
- Red – intensity and passion
- Orange – generosity and bravery
- Pink – romance and innocence
- Yellow – intelligence, wealth, affection, and empathy
- Green – abundance, luck, and hope
- Purple – nobility, health, and richness
- Black – elegance, formality, mystery, and wisdom
- White – light, goodness, faith, and innocence
- Brown – security, contentment, and comfort
Getting Started with Customizing Your Furniture
Creating custom furniture can seem challenging even for people who have done it several times. There are degrees of customization that can cater to your needs and creativity.
You can choose to select your chair or sofa upholstery from the textile options available and select the colour and finish of the wood for wooden pieces.
You can also customize every aspect of your furniture piece, including:
- Leg style
- Arm style
That said, the most important aspect when purchasing custom furniture is to work with a reputable and experienced custom furniture provider. They will take the time to understand your needs and vision and guide you through the process from design, build, and even delivery. This input is invaluable.
Carrocel Offers a Plethora of Options for Custom Furniture
For over two decades, Carrocel has helped thousands of residents in Toronto and beyond transform their homes and realize their décor visions. Our high-end custom furniture is made by the finest designers and artisans. Our 20,000 sq. ft. designer showroom also has an extensive selection of one-of-a-kind pieces that you can draw inspiration from.
Our friendly and highly resourceful team will walk with you throughout the process, combining your input, vision and preferences with our expertise and experience. We work to help you bring your imagination to life with custom furniture that you will be proud to use and pass down through the generations. Get started today by calling Carrocel at 416-999-2525. We will be happy to provide a no-obligation consultation to discuss how we can bring your vision to life.
Custom Modern Round Oak Dining Table Washed Finish
- Stunning sunburst oak top
- Custom fabricated metal clover pedestal in an aubergine lacquer
- Custom Modern Round Oak Dining Table Washed Finish
Custom Modern Walnut Two Tier Nightstands End Tables
- Custom built with a rich deep black walnut finish
- Two drawer night tables available in different sizes
- Custom Modern Walnut Two Tier Nightstands End Tables
Set of 10 Custom Westmore Modern Dining Chairs in Beige and White
- 10 custom designed tub dining chairs
- Upholstered in designer textured fabric with Chantilly Lace lacquer
- Set of 10 Custom Westmore Modern Dining Chairs in Beige and White