Dos and Don’ts of Buying from Furniture Stores
The furniture you choose to put in your home is often a significant investment. When buying furniture, it’s important that you pick pieces that serve a specific function while also contributing to the overall aesthetic and feel of your home.
However, finding those pieces is a lot easier said than done, especially since furniture isn’t often something you buy all at once. With that in mind, the following guide covers the dos and don’ts of furniture shopping to help ensure that you buy high-quality furniture that meets your specific needs.
Dos for Buying from Furniture Stores in Toronto
Going shopping for furniture in Toronto can be an incredibly overwhelming process. The last thing you want to do is spend too much on low-quality items that you don’t need. You also do not want to settle for cheap furniture that will need to be replaced sooner rather than later. As such, be sure to keep the following dos in mind when buying furniture in Toronto:
- Do Evaluate the Furniture You Need: Prioritize your needs and evaluate the furniture you require. This will help you avoid spending the majority of your budget on a table for the hallway when you really need a couch for your living room. Creating a list of needs will also help you save time since you won’t be browsing through furniture you don’t need.
- Do Research on Budget-Friendly Deals: Before shopping in person, do some online research. See what types of furniture stores in Toronto offer pricing that suits your budget. Researching the cost of the type of furniture you’re looking for will also give you an idea of how much you should expect to spend.
- Do Have a Clear Idea of the Theme You Should Go For: Before visiting the store, decide on a general theme for your home’s design. Creating a theme will help ensure you have a consistent look throughout your home by using pieces that match in style, colour, and texture.
- Do Consider Your Comfort: Unless the piece is purely decorative, you should always prioritize comfort when choosing furniture. It’s important to sit or lay on the piece to ensure it fits your body type and offers the right support.
- Do Clear Your Doubts: Don’t buy anything if you have doubts about it. Take the time to ask questions and ensure that the piece you’re buying is of good quality. If a salesperson can’t answer your questions, it could be a sign that the piece isn’t worth your money.
- Do Try to Experience in Person: It helps to look at a piece of furniture in person before purchasing, especially if you’re buying online. This way, you can check the furniture’s texture and feel to ensure it’s comfortable and of good quality.
- Do Measure Your Space & Furniture: Before buying any furniture, measure your home to ensure the piece will fit. Then, take measurements of the furniture you’re considering to make sure it’s the right size. The item shouldn’t be so large that it overwhelms the space but also not so small that it looks out of place.
Don’ts for Buying from Furniture Stores in Toronto
There are a lot of “dos” to keep in mind to help you successfully shop for the furniture you need. However, you’ll also want to avoid common mistakes. The following is a list of “don’ts” to be wary of:
- Don’t Purchase a White Elephant: A white elephant refers to a piece of furniture you end up disliking or not needing. Consider how often you will use specific pieces, how they contribute to your interior design, and their purpose before purchasing.
- Don’t Buy Highly Trendy Pieces: Avoid buying furniture that follows the latest trends. Not only is there a good chance that they’ll be outdated within a few years, but they tend to be more expensive due to their popularity.
- Don’t Buy a Piece You Won’t Use: Don’t buy a piece of furniture just because it looks good. You should always consider if the item will be practical and useful in your home. If you don’t think you’ll use it often or at all, then there’s no point in buying it.
- Don’t Ignore Utility: Don’t ignore the utility of furniture. Different pieces are designed to serve different purposes, so you should purchase them based on their use. For example, a living room sofa should be comfortable and supportive for lounging.
- Don’t Pick Beauty over Quality: Quality should always come first. A piece of furniture may look nice but be of bad quality. Consider the materials, construction, and other aspects when shopping for furniture to ensure it will stand up to wear and tear over time.
- Don’t Forget to Compare: Don’t buy the first thing you see. Compare furniture options from different stores to get the best selection and prices. Comparing different furniture pieces can help you make an informed decision about what’s right for your home.
Don’ts for Buying Outdoor Furniture
Buying outdoor furniture is a little bit different. Although the “dos” still apply, there are a few additional “don’ts” to keep in mind.
- Don’t Gloss Over Material & Quality: Quality and material play a more important role in outdoor furniture since they have to withstand the elements. Invest in pieces made of materials that won’t easily corrode or rot.
- Don’t Ignore Your Outdoor Location: Consider the climate and weather of your area to choose pieces that won’t wear down quickly. For example, choose furniture that won’t be blown away easily if you live in a windy area.
- Don’t Avoid Investing in Proper Protection: Invest in furniture covers to protect your pieces from the elements.
- Don’t Forget about Function: If your outdoor space is limited, look for pieces that can serve multiple purposes. Pieces such as benches with integrated storage are great for small areas.
Visit Our Custom Furniture Store in Toronto
At Carrocel, we offer a wide selection of high-quality furniture in various styles. For information about our store or our custom-designed furniture, be sure to contact us online or call us at 416-999-2525 today.
Pair of Modern Walnut and Black Bookcases
- Satin dark walnut exterior
- Three adjustable shelves
- Pair of Modern Walnut and Black Bookcases
Mid-Century Modern Velvet Loveseat Sofa
- Stainless steel legs
- Two bolster cushions for support
- Mid-Century Modern Velvet Loveseat Sofa
Pair of Water Fall Mozambique and Mahogany Nightstands
- Single top drawer and open glass shelf
- Finished in a rich red mahogany colour
- Pair of Water Fall Mozambique and Mahogany Nightstands