Combining Different Interior Design Styles
Creating visual appeal in your home can occasionally be a challenge. Mixing different styles can help to add a dynamic and interesting look to your living space, but it’s easy to create a visual mess when you were looking to design a harmonious blend. There are simple guides to follow to make an appealing and beautiful environment.
Use an 80/20 Ratio
If you’re combining a variety of different interior design styles, keep in mind the 80/20 ratio. Keep 80% of the things in your room matching one style, and then let the other 20% come from a contrasting style. Having a higher ratio will end up confusing the eye and providing too many competing things to focus on.
Pay Attention to Colour
If you have a particular colour that stands out in the room like a bright couch, you can help make the rest of the furniture in the room go together by adding pops of the same colour. Add art, accessories, or a centrepiece like a vase to help bring the focus to your colourful piece. Keep the other colours neutral to allow the bright piece to stand out. Colour will help unify almost any variety of shape or style.
Use Art to Combine Styles
Combining styles doesn’t have to be kept to furniture. Consider pairing edgy modern furniture with a classic landscape or oil painting. Alternatively, timeless vintage furniture can be mixed with abstract and bold modern art. Adding interesting patterns is also a good way to create visual interest in a room.
Watch Size and Scale
Be careful with items that are obviously differently sized. Bold, large pieces of furniture will look out of place in a room that has a softer feeling and delicate accessories. Similarly, if you have big, intense art and décor pieces, you will need furniture to compliment those.
Make Use of the Bohemian Look
When you aren’t entirely sure what to do with a room, make use of the bohemian themes by creating an eclectic space. This gives you more freedom with your decorating rather than trying to focus on a traditional or modern style. It gives you the flexibility to mix textures and add elements to make the space more unique. If you opt for this method, be sure to keep the colours cohesive, but don’t be afraid to add interesting mementos to show off your personality.
Carrocel’s Wide Variety of Design Styles
At our 20,000 square-foot showroom located at 245 Bridgeland Avenue in central Toronto, you will be able to view multiple styles of furniture to see what will best suit your taste. While here, you have the opportunity to speak with our furniture experts who can offer advice and suggestions. View these pieces to get inspiration for your home:
Carrocel Custom Modern Rift Cut Oak Writing Desk
- Three drawers on the left, one drawer and a door with a shelf on the right
- Recessed section with chrome surface at the bottom of each base
- Carrocel Custom Modern Rift Cut Oak Writing Desk
Randal Tysinger Modern Ebonized China Display Cabinet
- Designed by Randal Tysinger
- Composed of ebonized wood; two glass doors on top and seven drawers below
- Randal Tysinger Modern Ebonized China Display Cabinet
Antique Art Deco Ebonised Leather Sideboard Buffet Credenza
- Originally from France
- White leather covered door fronts with a charcoal finished case
- Antique Art Deco Ebonised Leather Sideboard Buffet Credenza
Black High Gloss Art Deco Cabinet
- Mirrored glass back with two glass shelves and sliding doors
- Upper half used for display, lower half divided into three compartments for storage
- Black High Gloss Art Deco Cabinet
Pair of Vintage James Mont Chests
- Oriental inspired design created by James Mont
- Finished in a black lacquer with gold leaf accents on the handles and raised motifs
- Pair of Vintage James Mont Chests
When you are ready to refurnish your living space, visit the fine furniture experts at Carrocel. Coming to our store will give you an opportunity to browse an outstanding selection of high-end furniture with a wide variety of design styles. Our inventory includes high-quality furniture pieces, accessories and suites for your living room, dining room, bedrooms, and home office. For a more comprehensive view of our stock, please go to our vintage and retro furniture catalogue page.