What You Need to Know Before Taking on Antique Furniture Restoration
Helpful Tips from Carrocel
You have the perfect piece of furniture, but it has seen better days. You may be tempted to do a little furniture repair and restoration yourself – after all, the TV shows make it look simple. Before you restore your furniture, there are some things you should consider, including whether or not it is worth it to restore that piece in the first place.
Should You Restore Antique Furniture?
Furniture Restoration Advice from Carrocel
Refinishing an antique, if done wrong, can actually decrease its value. While most pieces of furniture benefit from repair and restoration, you must determine whether the piece you are restoring has these characteristics:
- It should be something important to you. Because furniture repair and restoration can be costly, make sure it is a furniture item you plan to use for many years and it is worth the effort.
- The piece should be sturdy and made from solid wood. Some of the best antiques for refinishing are those made between the 1850s and 1960s.
- Handmade antiques are of high value, even without restoration. Therefore, bring it in to the professionals at Carrocel and have it assessed to ensure you will not ruin the value by restoring it.
Reasons to Leave Furniture Restoration to the Professionals
Let Carrocel Interiors Refinish Your Antique for You
Well-executed refinishing and restoration can enhance the value of just about any piece of antique furniture; but that requires the skill and expertise of a professional. Trust our team to deliver a flawless job.
- The right technique will be used. Our team here at Carrocel understands the type of wood they are working with; therefore, they will use the right solvent, finish and match the colours more accurately than a DIY enthusiast could.
- They take extra care with ornate, hand-carved pieces. Restoring any type of wooden furniture is time-consuming, especially if it has ornate features. Our team can restore ornate work without compromising the design or value.
- We have the tools and skills to reupholster too. If your furniture item has upholstery, we can help match the proper fabric and style to the era of the antique, making it look new without compromising the integrity of the piece.
We can help in restoring your old furniture or repairing your antiques before refinishing. Call us at 416-999-2525 for all your furniture restoration and repair needs.