The Characteristics of Modern Furniture
Are you moving to a new home? Or are you thinking about redesigning your space? Whatever the case is, it’s crucial that you remember that the furniture you choose to fill your space with can change the overall look of your home. There’s a lot to consider when picking your furniture, including your personality, taste, and style.
One type of furniture you may want to consider is modern-style furniture. The following guide will help you better understand what modern furniture is to determine whether it will be a good fit for the type of look and feel you want your home to have.
Categories of Modern Furniture
Modern furniture design has roots in the modernist art and design movement of the early 20th century. This was a period characterized by pushing against traditional design to create a new set of aesthetics. There are three main types of modern furniture:
- Functionalist Modern: This type of modern furniture emphasizes practicality and functionality. It is usually composed of simple shapes with minimal design elements, making it quite versatile. Pieces are often made of wood, metal, or plastic and are designed to look both modern and practical.
- Transitional Modern: This type of modern furniture combines traditional and contemporary elements to create a unique look. It often features clean lines but also includes touches of classic design like curved legs or wood tones.
- Commercial Modern: As the name implies, this type of modern furniture is popular in commercial spaces such as offices and restaurants. It’s usually made with glossy materials like lacquered glass and plastic surfaces for a sleek, contemporary look.
Characteristics of Modern Furniture
The following are some of the characteristics that define modern furniture. Keep in mind that a piece of modern furniture may not have every single one of these characteristics, but they do often have more than one:
- Basic Forms & Shapes: Modern furniture typically features simple, basic shapes like squares, rectangles, and circles. Pieces are often designed to fit together like a puzzle, making them aesthetically pleasing as well as functional. Additionally, it makes the space feel less cluttered.
- Shiny Surfaces: Shiny surfaces such as lacquered wood, glass, and plastic are often used in modern furniture. This gives the pieces a sleek, modern look that is often accented with chrome or other metals.
- Multifunctional & Modular Designs: Modern furniture is often designed with multifunctional and modular pieces. This means that one piece of furniture can be used for multiple purposes or that multiple pieces fit together like a puzzle. By using furniture pieces that are multifunctional, you can reduce the amount of furniture you need in any given space, thereby creating a more open, less cluttered feel.
- Minimalist Design: Pieces are usually made with few details and use clean lines and basic shapes. This makes it easier to coordinate different pieces of furniture and helps to create a cohesive look. It also prevents the space from becoming visually overwhelming, thereby making it feel more comfortable and inviting.
- Function & Form Over Ornamentation: Modern furniture often focuses on function and form over ornamentation. Pieces are typically made with few details and usually lack embellishments like carvings or intricate accents. This helps to create a sleek, modern look and also ensures that each piece is functional and practical.
- Neutral & Natural Colours: Neutral and natural colours like black, white, grey, tan, and brown are often used in modern furniture. These colours help to create a calm, relaxing atmosphere while also making it easy to coordinate different pieces of furniture. Additionally, they help to create a timeless look that won’t quickly go out of style.
- Visually Lighter: Modern furniture has a lightweight visual quality. The pieces usually have thin legs and/or minimal design elements, making them appear less bulky than other styles of furniture. This helps to make the room feel more spacious while also creating a modern, sophisticated look.
- Use of Modern Materials: Modern furniture is often made with modern materials like metal, plastic, and glass. This helps to create a sleek, contemporary look that is also quite durable.
Discover a Variety of Modern Furniture at Carrocel
At Carrocel – best Furniture store in Toronto, we offer an extensive selection of modern furniture for every room in your home. For information about our Toronto showroom or our inventory of modern furniture, be sure to contact us online or call us at 416-999-2525 today.
Modern Bookcase Etagere in Copper Colored Finish
- Unique cylindrical design with brushed copper finish
- Mirrored compartments and upgraded interior lighting
- Modern Bookcase Etagere in Copper Colored Finish
Modern Art Deco Chaise Lounge
- Covered in grey velvet fabric
- Sits on pointed rear feet with large silver metal tips
- Modern Art Deco Chaise Lounge
Modern Porcelain Dining Table with Brass Accents
- Black porcelain slab with copper and grey veining
- Beautiful black lacquer with stunning brass-coloured accent orbs
- Modern Porcelain Dining Table with Brass Accents