Ideas and Tips to Create a Vintage Style Bedroom
Your bedroom deserves to be decorated and furnished in a way that is aesthetically pleasing as well as functional. After all, you’re going to spend a lot of time in it, which means you should furnish it in a way that reflects your tastes and personality. One way to do this is by incorporating vintage décor.
Adding vintage furniture to your bedroom is a great way to add character and personality. With that in mind, the following is a guide to creating a vintage-style bedroom.
What is a Vintage Style Bedroom?
It’s important to distinguish the difference between “vintage” and “antique.” Vintage doesn’t necessarily mean a piece that is quite old. Generally speaking, a vintage piece is something that’s older than 20 years, while an antique often refers to items at least 100 years old.
You can easily get the look you want with some simple changes, such as adding distressed furniture and ornate storage solutions. Even small items, such as bedside lamps, can make a tremendous impact. A great way to curate your bedroom furniture with vintage style is to mix furnishings from different eras, creating an eclectic look that is uniquely yours.
12 Ways to Add Vintage Style to Your Bedroom
If you’re interested in creating a unique, vintage bedroom, then the following tips will help you achieve the look:
- Be Thoughtful with Accessories: Rather than going for a full-blown vintage bedroom, you can still get the same effect by adding some vintage accessories to your existing décor. This could include anything from trinkets and old books to art prints or tapestries.
- Include a Vanity: A vanity is traditionally a piece of furniture that often includes a mirror and several drawers for storing makeup, jewelry, hair accessories, and other items. It’s an important part of any bedroom since it adds both practicality as well as aesthetic appeal. For a vintage look, consider incorporating a vanity with ornate detailing or curved lines.
- Find Purpose in an Old Piece: You don’t have to use a vintage piece as it was initially intended to be used. Instead, look for ways to make the piece your own by repurposing it. For example, an old stool could be used as a nightstand, while an old trunk could be used as a coffee table.
- Deck the Mantel: Adding a mantel to your bedroom can be a great way to display treasured items such as artwork, photos, and mementos. If you don’t have a fireplace in your room, then look for an old mantelpiece at vintage shops. Alternatively, you could make one yourself using some reclaimed wood and antique hardware.
- Try a Trunk: Add ornate storage with a vintage trunk. Not only will it make a great statement piece, but it can also serve as an extra storage solution for your bedroom if you choose one with a lid that opens. It can even serve as a bedside table.
- Add ornate storage: You can add extra storage to your room with ornate pieces such as a chest of drawers, an armoire, or a dresser. These pieces will help you store items while adding character to the space.
- Go for a bright headboard: With a bright, bold headboard, you can instantly bring your bedroom to the next level. A vintage-style headboard with intricate details or curved edges is a great way to add a touch of elegance and sophistication to your bedroom. You could even find one upholstered in velvet for an extra luxurious look.
- Select flowery furniture: Flowery vintage furniture pieces can help create a dreamy, romantic atmosphere in your bedroom. If you’re looking for something more modern, try floral upholstery fabric with flower patterns and colours.
- Introduce a sleigh bed: A sleigh bed is a great way to create a classic, vintage-style look in your bedroom. Sleigh beds are often made of wood with intricate details and embellishments that give them a timeless feel. Look for one with an upholstered headboard and footboard for extra comfort.
- Find Matching Nightstands: Nightstands are essential for any bedroom as they provide much-needed storage space and a place to set down some essentials such as your lamp, phone, or alarm clock. Find matching nightstands in vintage style for added charm and character.
- Combine Black and Brass: Black and brass is a timeless combination that can add elegance to any bedroom. Try adding some decorative elements such as handles, knobs, and hinges with black accents and golden or brass hardware for a sophisticated look.
- Add Distressed furniture: Distressed furniture is a great way to add texture and depth to your bedroom while still keeping the vintage feel. Look for pieces with distressed finishes such as worn paint, chipped edges, or frayed upholstery for added character.
Get Vintage Furniture or Custom Solutions at Great Prices
You don’t need to break the bank to get vintage furniture. Shopping at Carrocel is a great way to find unique, vintage items as well as custom-designed furniture and decor solutions. With an extensive selection of pieces from different eras and styles, from modern to mid-century-modern, you’re sure to find something that will perfectly fit your space and budget. Contact us online at Carrocel Interiors or call us at 416-999-2525 for more information about our bedroom furniture.
French Art Deco Bed by Paul Poiret France Circa 1929
- Expertly restored and refinished to its original high gloss lacquered colour
- Adorned with hand-applied gold and silver leaf
- French Art Deco Bed by Paul Poiret France Circa 1929
Marble Top Louis XVI Style Commode Chest
- Highest quality marble sourced from Italy
- Crafted from mahogany woods and finished in polished black lacquer
- Marble Top Louis XVI Style Commode Chest
Original Mid-Century Modern Dresser by William Hinn Circa 1950’s
- Curved mid-century modern design
- All original and untouched
- Original Mid-Century Modern Dresser by William Hinn Circa 1950’s