How to Choose Your Dining Table Shape
Choosing the perfect dining room table takes more thought than you might imagine. Of course, size and material are important considerations, but there are still other important factors, particularly shape.
While rectangular dining tables seem to be the obvious and popular choice, space constraints and style preferences can make circular or oval dining tables a better option. That said, choosing one shape over the other relies on your needs, style preferences, and space constraints.
Below is a comprehensive dining table guide to help you discover the benefits of each shape.
3 Popular Dining Table Shapes
Rectangular or Square Dining Tables
When you think of a banquet hall or a formal dining room, chances are you imagine a rectangular dining table. Most rooms are rectangular, so the strong lines of a rectangular dining table echo the shape of the space and create a sleek and cohesive look. This shape is highly preferred as you can fit many people around it, whether on the sides or with people sitting at the head. This is also mirrored in square tables, which suit smaller spaces.
Custom Modern Dining Table with Metal Base
- Gunmetal rounded geometric metal pedestal
- Rich, polished walnut top
- Custom Modern Dining Table with Metal Base
Macassar Ebony Square Walnut Dining Table
- Black lacquered accent ends with pull-outs
- Modern brass base styling with a textured glass top
- Macassar Ebony Square Walnut Dining Table
Custom Walnut Dining Table Featuring Metal Inlay
- Stunning linear appeal with classic modern aesthetic
- Rift cut walnut veneered top
- Custom Walnut Dining Table Featuring Metal Inlay
Round or Circular Tables for Dining Rooms
Circular dining tables are a modern, cozy, and casual alternative to rectangular or square tables. Their curved shape softens the atmosphere of the room while encouraging people to sit closer.
The shape also suits any home, from country cottages to penthouse apartments. Although circular dining tables are often associated with smaller spaces, you do not have to restrict them to informal setups. You can easily dress it up or down with different décor.
Modern Round Black Marble Top Dining Table
- Thick Silver Portoro black marble top
- Unique modern starburst metal pedestal
- Modern Round Black Marble Top Dining Table
Custom Geometric Base Glass Top Dining Table
- Geometric lacquered bases
- Custom made Dining table by Carrocel
- Custom Geometric Base Glass Top Dining Table
Modern Round Dining Table with Brass Base
- Unique modern brass pedestal
- Book-matched polished sycamore wood top
- Modern Round Dining Table with Brass Base
Elliptical or Oval Dining Tables
Oval dining tables achieve the perfect balance of rectangular and circular, blending the long linear sides with rounded ends. These curved edges help add softness to a room and break up the angular lines in your home. They are longer than a round table, making them suitable for larger groups.
An oval table looks great in a rectangular room as they are long and thin, though it may look cramped if you have a small space. Choosing an option with a pedestal base will allow you to fit more people around the table.
Flamed Mahogany Dining Table Hepplewhite Inspired
- Beautifully book matched hand rubbed finished mahogany
- Solid mahogany tapered legs with brass caps
- Flamed Mahogany Dining Table Hepplewhite Inspired
Custom Modern Walnut Oval Dining Table
- Hand-rubbed natural grey finish on the tabletop and legs
- Handmade stainless-steel bases
- Custom Modern Walnut Oval Dining Table
Carrocel Custom White Porcelain Dining Table
- Solid white Calacatta porcelain top with grey veining
- Sleek modern grey polished wood base
- Carrocel Custom White Porcelain Dining Table
Base and Leg Shape
When you think about the shape of a dining table, you are probably only considering the shape of the tabletop. However, it is also important to consider the base of your table as it will impact how close you can sit to the table, how many chairs you can fit, and more. Remember that not all table shapes will be compatible with all base and leg options.
These dining tables stand on a single large support. Though commonly associated with round tables, they are available in a variety of sizes and shapes. The center post makes it easy to push chairs flush to this table, making it perfect for smaller spaces.
Carrocel Custom Modern Polished Walnut Dining Table
- A Carrocel Custom creation handcrafted out of solid walnut
- Hand polished to a luxurious sheen
- Carrocel Custom Modern Polished Walnut Dining Table
Custom Sunburst Modern Round Dining Table
- Beautiful sunburst patterned top
- Round fluted base
- Custom Sunburst Modern Round Dining Table
Modern Round Marble Dining Table
- Clean cut grey and black marble pedestal
- Round wood top finished in a white satin
- Modern Round Marble Dining Table
In a very large dining room, multiple pedestals are better than one as the balance afforded by the base allows this type of table to seat 12 or more with relative ease. Multi–pedestal tables also lend a more formal look and feel to the dining room.
Carrocel Custom Impero Dining Table
- Original Deco pedestal design by our master craftsmen
- Stunning pedestals with nickel inlay and polished nickel trim
- Carrocel Custom Impero Dining Table
Custom Modern Dining Table Macassar Diamond Pattern Top
- Double geometric pedestal bases
- Hand polished high gloss espresso walnut finish
- Custom Modern Dining Table Macassar Diamond Pattern Top
Custom Modern Black and White Dining Table
- Hand polished black ends and columns
- Polished white lacquer center
- Custom Modern Black and White Dining Table
The versatility of leg dining tables makes them the most common. With the ability to expand by adding inserts, you have the option of adding more legs for stability.
Ralph Lauren One Fifth Dining Table
- Elegant, tapered legs
- Finished in polished black lacquer
- Ralph Lauren One Fifth Dining Table
Vintage French Black Lacquered Dining Table
- Refinished in black lacquer
- Beautifully tapered legs with x-shaped stretchers near the top
- Vintage French Black Lacquered Dining Table
Yacht Parson’s Dining Table by Ralph Lauren
- Solid mahogany in a flamed finish
- A classic piece with the perfect amount of flair
- Yacht Parson’s Dining Table by Ralph Lauren
Best Dining Table Shapes for Small Rooms
The most popular dining table shape for small rooms is round. When paired with square chairs that have a low back and no arms, you create an unobtrusive yet beautiful space. Benches or modern chair designs that fit neatly under the table could also serve the same function.
Another alternative is to use extendable dining tables, which allow you to entertain a larger group without the table taking up vital floor space. You can also choose a table that uses inserts, changing your round table into an oval or square into a rectangle. This allows you to have two dining table shapes in one and change as necessary.
Best Dining Table Shapes for Large Rooms
Even if you are not limited on space, finding the right dining table for your home can be tricky. Custom dining tables tailored to your specific dining room measurements are the most obvious solution. However, you can also push together two smaller square dining tables which allows you to double up on length while still retaining the width of a square table. You also need to consider the effect of the table on the look and feel of the room.
It is also important to remember that the table does not need to ‘fill up’ the space. All dining tables can be dramatized depending on their materials, finish, and decorative touches to visually fill a large room. As such, you have the liberty to go with any table shape you desire. Your choice will come down to what statement you want the table to make and what sort of atmosphere you want to create.
Other Essentials to Choose the Right Dining Table Shape
Remember, the shape of the dining table is only one part of the picture. There are other things to consider to ensure it fits comfortably within the space.
Consider the cohesion between the table and the seating. What works better with the table? If you decide to go with chairs, ensure that they fit underneath the table and leave enough space for the diners. Remember that upholstered chairs with arms generally take up more room.
Leave Enough Space
Even if you have space constraints, you want your guests to be comfortable. You don’t want people clashing elbows when eating or having to shuffle around the dining table. Ideally, you want to leave at least 31” between the dining table and the wall with approximately 12” of space between the chairs.
Explore Our Selection of Dining Room Tables in Toronto
Many people have their best conversations with friends and family around the dinner table. Your choice of dining table has a significant impact on the atmosphere, and therefore the comfortability of all in the room.
At Carrocel, we have an extensive collection of high-end furniture, including dining room tables and dining chairs. For over 30 years, we have enhanced the homes and lifestyles of customers in Toronto and around the world, offering top-quality dining tables with different shapes, styles, and sizes as well as custom furniture options.