Expert Ways to Create Mid-Century Modern Interiors
When it comes to designing the interior of your living space, going with a mid-century modern style can create a timeless aesthetic that is both stylish and sophisticated. Mid-century interiors tend to be characterized by clean lines, sinuous and biomorphic forms, and a pared-back palette, allowing it to complement a variety of other styles. As a result, the mid-century interior style continues to provide a contemporary look even today.
Whether you’re looking to completely overhaul your living room design by implementing a beautiful, mid-century interior style, or you simply want to add a few mid-century modern furniture pieces to update your living space, the following guide is full of mid-century modern living room ideas to inspire you.
Mid-Century Modern Living Room Ideas
These tips can help you create a modern mid-century living room that stands the test of time — or adds a touch of mid-century style to your existing decor.
- Invest in Wooden Furniture: Mid-century furniture pieces often feature beautiful wooden elements, including everything from teak dining tables to walnut writing desks. Investing in classic mid-century wooden furniture pieces can help bring a timeless aesthetic to your living room.
- Create the Illusion of Space with Slimline Furniture: Mid-century furniture was often designed to be slimmer than its contemporaries, with minimal ornamentation. This helps emphasize the perception of space in a living room, creating the illusion of more floor area and higher ceilings.
- Base Your Scheme Around Symmetry: Mid-century interiors are often characterized by symmetrical arrangements. When designing your mid-century living room, think about implementing this principle through symmetrically arranged furniture pieces and colour schemes that feature a repeated pattern or design. Doing so can create a balanced, harmonious living room that reflects the mid-century style.
- Decorate In a Primary Colour Palette: Mid-century interiors often feature a limited colour palette, typically comprised of primary colours with a few earthy shades. Keeping to this type of palette in your living room can help capture the essence of mid-century style and prevent your colour scheme from appearing too overwhelming.
- Devise a Contemporary Take on the Mid-Century Modern Living Room: Mid-century modern style isn’t just limited to the mid-twentieth century. You can also create a modern living room by combining contemporary pieces with classic mid-century elements, such as wooden furniture or geometric prints and patterns. This can help give your living room a fresh, updated look while still paying homage to the timeless aesthetic of mid-century design.
- Bring Warmth with Wood Panelling: Wood paneling is a great way to inject warmth and texture into your mid-century living room. You can use it as an accent wall, or you could even cover the entire wall with wood panelling for a natural, rustic look.
- Go For a Retro Colour Scheme: Pick out a few mid-century colours and use them throughout your living room — on the walls, the furniture pieces, the decor pieces, etc. Think about colours such as olive green, mustard yellow, burnt orange, or teal blue for an authentic mid-century look.
- Go Bold with Oversized Florals: Mid-century modern interiors often feature oversized florals as a way to inject colour and pattern into the space. Look for abstract floral prints in bold colours, or opt for vintage wallpaper designs for a truly retro feel.
- Mix And Match Styles and Eras: The great thing about mid-century modern interiors is that you can mix and match different styles and eras, as long as they fit within the overall theme. Don’t be afraid to incorporate pieces from other eras such as a vintage chair or an antique side table, in order to add texture and interest to your living room design.
- Choose Designer Armchairs: A designer armchair is essential for any mid-century living room. Look for iconic pieces such as the Barcelona chair or the Eames lounge chair, which will add a touch of class and sophistication to your living space.
- Showcase Mid-Century Art Against a Neutral Palette: If you’re looking for an easy way to get the mid-century modern aesthetic, then consider displaying some mid-century art in your living room. This will help to create a stunning focal point that draws attention and helps add a flourish of colour, especially if the walls of your living room are painted in a neutral colour.
- Keep Furnishings Minimal: Mid-century interiors often feature minimal furnishings, with only a few essential pieces used to create a sense of space and airiness. Keeping your living room relatively sparse can help you achieve the same effect in your own home. If you add too many items, the living room can start to feel cluttered and cramped.
- Add A Statement Ceiling Light: The ceiling is often overlooked when it comes to decorating, but it can be a great way to inject some mid-century charm into your living room. Look for vintage light fixtures with unique shapes and materials, such as brass or copper, that will help create an eye-catching addition to your interior space.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Use Bold Colour: Mid-century interiors don’t always have to be muted and neutral. In fact, some of the most iconic mid-century designs feature bold colours that help create a striking visual aesthetic. So don’t be afraid to add some vibrant shades to your living room design in order to make it stand out from the crowd.
Our Mid-Century Modern Furniture Makes a Statement
At Carrocel, we know how to create a stunning mid-century modern living room that will stand the test of time. Our collection of vintage and custom furniture pieces features everything from iconic designs to one-of-a-kind creations, meaning you can find the perfect pieces to help bring your mid-century modern ideas to life. Contact us online or call us at 416-999-2525 for more information about our line of mid-century modern furniture.
Vintage Leather Channel Chaise Lounge with Stainless Steel Base
- Black leather with a beautiful, aged patina
- Stainless steel support frame
- Vintage Leather Channel Chaise Lounge with Stainless Steel Base
Modern Console Table Credenza by James Mont, Circa 1960, USA
- Masterfully restored in a semi-gloss white lacquered finish and hand painted gold accents
- Demi-lune cabinet opens with two doors and features a large storage compartment
- Modern Console Table Credenza by James Mont, Circa 1960, USA
Modern Round Metal and Glass Coffee Table by PACE Collection
- Masterfully restored with a gold leaf antiquing finishing on the metal supports
- Glass slides into the metal stands
- Modern Round Metal and Glass Coffee Table by PACE Collection