Mid-Century Modern Furniture 101
Pieces in the mid-century modern style feature simple styles, bright, fun colours or earthy neutrals, and focus on function and practicality.
- History – In the 1930s, European designers began to experiment with Bauhaus design. The general minimalist style emphasized the function and practicality of pieces instead of their elaborate designs. As WWII began, minimal designs became more popular overall. With the advent of technology that allowed for the bending of plywood and creating moulded fibreglass, the mid-century modern style began.
- Traits – As furniture construction techniques advanced, designers could make new shapes that weren’t possible before. Thin legs and sculpted pulls were added to items, and the wooden details were balanced out with bright upholstery in woven and wool materials. Popular colours included cobalt and yellow.
- Iconic Furniture Makers – There are many famous furniture designers who created mid-century modern pieces. A few of these include:
- Ray & Charles Eames – Known for their hard-shelled fibreglass chairs, this husband and wife pair are some of the essential designers of mid-century modern pieces. Their work also includes the Eames Lounger and the DCM chair.
- Eero Saarinen – Saarinen is responsible for iconic designs such as the Tulip Table and Womb Chair. Saarinen desired to simplify the silhouettes of classic furniture pieces.
- George Nelson – Nelson designed a variety of furniture pieces, including some of the most memorable and playful items. He’s known for the Marshmallow Sofa and the Coconut Chair.
- Arne Jacobsen – Danish designer Jacobsen is most known for his Egg Chair, Swan Chair, and Teardrop Chair designs.
- Milo Baughman – Baughman is credited as the one who added more of a glamorous touch to mid-century modern designs. He introduced different materials to the style including chrome, brass, and velvets.
Carrocel Has A Wide Selection of Mid-Century Modern Furniture
At Carrocel, we have many mid-century modern pieces to suit your home and your tastes. If you’d like to speak with an expert to help you determine which pieces will best suit your space, come in and chat with us. Our 20,000 square-foot showroom contains a variety of furniture styles to serve as inspiration. Visit our location at 245 Bridgeland Avenue in central Toronto for more.
Pair of Vintage Original Mid Century Modern Lounge Chairs
- Recently upholstered in charcoal fabric with satin black lacquer
- Sleek curved backs and curved legs
- Pair of Vintage Original Mid Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Mid Century Modern Chandelier
- Eight light globes and a chrome frame
- Vintage eighties aesthetic
- Mid Century Modern Chandelier
Vintage American Mid-Century Modern Circa 1960’s Sofa
- Walnut wood trim and navy upholstery
- 1960’s mid-century modern design
- Vintage American Mid-Century Modern Circa 1960’s Sofa