Helpful Tips And Tricks For Easy Antique Furniture Repairs
Searching for, finding, restoring and owning an antique is a wonderful hobby. However, along with owning antiques comes the responsibility of caring for them the right way. Antique furniture can often be very easily damaged. Some of the most common causes of damage include simple carelessness, such as bumps and scrapes, or factors that are more difficult to control, such as heat, humidity, and extended exposure to sunlight.
When you need to perform antique repairs, you may be worried about the expense. It may be tempting to try furniture repairs for your antique pieces on your own. Experts recommend that you think about the long term value of your valuable antiques and seek skilled professionals for the job. In addition, there are a few simple DIY methods you can use to perform basic antique repairs yourself.
Simple Furniture Repair Tips For DIY Antique Lovers
Before attempting any antique repairs, ascertain that the repairs needed are only minor. These methods are for simple furniture repairs such as cleaning up scratches in the wood. Also note that these methods may vary in effectiveness depending upon the type of wood used in the construction of the antique furniture.
- Mix together equal parts of lemon juice and vegetable oil and rub the solution onto the scratches until you can no longer see them on your furniture.
- Rub large nuts, such as Brazil nuts or almonds, onto the scratches in the direction of the scratch. The nutmeat will fill the scratch.
- For darker wood, you can rub coffee grounds into the scratches using a Q-tip.
- You can use a small paintbrush to paint iodine onto a scratch, applying more at intervals until the color matches.
- Other methods for cleaning up scratches include crayons, markers, shoe polish, and tea bags.
For more information about antique furniture repairs, contact Carrocel furniture store in Toronto. We will be happy to discuss proper maintenance and your furniture repair and antique restoration needs.