Tips to Create and Furnish a Formal Dining Room Layout
Factors to Consider When Planning a Formal Dining Room Layout for Your Home
In the minds of many homeowners, there is a more formal atmosphere associated with their dining room than with the kitchen. This is not meant to imply that the kitchen is a less vital or less important area of the home, but rather that the dining room is reserved for serving meals on special occasions – family gatherings, entertaining friends, religious observances, intimate dinners, etc. – while the kitchen is a multi-purpose area that is used every day for preparing and consuming meals ranging from day-starting breakfasts to late-night snacks.
Consequently, and in keeping with this mindset, these homeowners will often want to have a formal dining room set that they believe reflects the more stately or traditional purpose of such a space; as an aside, this can apply to both defined dining spaces and open concepts.
Unfortunately, many selections of dining room table and chair sets may be influenced more by their visual appeal without suitable consideration given to other factors such as comfort, functionality, and fit in the available space. As a result, the room can become overcrowded, uncomfortable, unpassable, or any combination of the three, and thus never get used at all.
Therefore, before buying a new dining room set, consumers might benefit from the following tips, offered by the specialists at Carrocel fine furniture as a guide to creating and furnishing a complete formal dining room layout for their Toronto home:
- Table Considerations
- Room shape and dimensions?
- Customary number of guests?
- Preferred entertainment style?
- Table Location/Placement
- Place directly beneath overhead lighting
- Distance from doorway – typically 48 inches
- Space to push back chairs and still walk around
- Open layouts – center in front of a wall or window
- Chair Considerations
- Height to provide enough clearance when seated?
- Width to provide sufficient elbow room when dining?
- Matching table and chair set offers a more formal look
- Additional Furniture Pieces
- Buffet, sideboard, server table/bar cart, china cabinet?
- Consider double-duty pieces, i.e. storage and functionality
- Leave sufficient space between any piece and the dining set
- Formal Dining Room Accessories
- Hanging light fixtures/chandeliers – 30 to 36 inches above the table
- Layered lighting, e.g. overhead fixture, wall sconces, and candlelight
- Area rug under the table – should extend 36 inches beyond table edges
- Strategically-placed mirror can make the room seem larger and brighter
With the above considerations in mind, homeowners in search of formal dining room tables, chairs, and accessories for their Toronto residences are invited to view the collection of fine furniture on display in Carrocel’s 20,000 square-foot showroom on Bridgeland Avenue near Yorkdale Mall. Here, customers can compare and contrast a vast selection of modern dining room sets and consult with a Carrocel fine furniture representative to select the ideal suite that best complements their home, needs, and lifestyle.
Peruse an Exquisite Collection of Formal Dining Room Sets and Accessories
A visit to Carrocel’s showroom, centrally located near the Yorkdale Mall in Toronto, provides homeowners the opportunity to peruse an exquisite collection of modern dining room sets of various style, shape and construction; these will include but are not limited to:
- Dining Room Table Shapes
- Dining Room Table Construction
- Oak, Walnut, Mahogany, Olive
- Glass, Chrome, Stainless Steel
A cross-section of the superb selection of formal dining room furniture currently on display in the Carrocel fine furniture showroom consists of the following:
Formal Dining Room Tables
- Modern Square Dining Table
- Carrocel Custom Olive Burled Dining Table
- Smoked Glass and Chrome Extendable Dining Table
- Round Flamed Mahogany Dining Table with Gilt Wood Base
Dining Room Chair Sets
- Set of Six Red Deco Lacquered Dining Chairs
- Set of 12 Carrocel Custom Hillock Dining Chairs
- Set of Six French Art Deco Leather Dining Chairs
- Set of Eight Carrocel Custom Clark Dining Chairs
Buffets and Sideboards
- Retro Frosted Metal Buffet
- Art Deco Style Birds Eye and Rosewood Buffet
- French Art Deco Macassar Ebony Buffet with Marble Top
- Carrocel Custom Transitional Walnut Buffet
For a more comprehensive appreciation of the scope of Carrocel’s formal dining room sets and accessories, please go to our Dining Room Furniture page or visit their 20,000 square-foot showroom on Bridgeland Avenue in Toronto.
Looking to create and furnish an elegant, formal dining room layout for your Toronto home? Call the specialists from Carrocel fine furniture today at 647-694-4683 or Contact us to book your no-obligation consultation. And visit our 20,000 square-foot showroom at your leisure to view our exquisite collection of formal dining room tables, chairs, and accessories.