Complete Guide to Shop for Your Home Office Furniture
Whether you work from home or simply need a space to get work done, a home office can be incredibly beneficial. However, when it comes to furnishing your home office, don’t feel like you’re limited to the typical office aesthetic. Regular offices can be pretty dull in terms of their appearance, but that doesn’t mean your home office has to be.
With that in mind, the following guide will help you source furniture that marries form and function in a way that will complement your overall interior design.
Things to Consider When Buying Home Office Furniture
When planning your home office, there are a few things that you should keep in mind to help guide you in choosing furniture for your space, such as:
- How Much Space You Have: Consider how much space is available. You don’t want to buy furniture that takes up too much of your space or is too big for your room. Otherwise, your office will feel cluttered and cramped, which isn’t ideal for creating a comfortable space to work in.
- How Many Hours You Work: Consider how much time you spend in your office. If you are in the office for most of your day, then investing in a comfortable, ergonomic chair and desk is essential. However, if you only use your home office occasionally or just for a few hours each day, then you might want to consider furniture that can function for multiple uses so that the space isn’t limited to just being a home office.
- Your Personal Style: Opt for furniture that reflects your personality and style in order to make your space more inviting and comfortable.
- Your Budget: It is important to take your budget into consideration. Be sure to prioritize your needs if you’re working with a smaller budget. You don’t want to blow half your budget on a cute table lamp if you still need to purchase a desk and chair.
How to Choose a Home Office Desk
If you’re designing a full-time home office, then the desk is the most important feature. After all, it’s the centrepiece of your room and where most of your work will take place. Learn how to pick the right desk for you:
- Surface Area: Consider the size of your home office and how much surface area you need. If space is limited, opt for a slim-line desk that offers sufficient surface area without taking up much space. If you have a larger office to work with, then go for something more substantial to ensure that your space doesn’t get cluttered.
- Ergonomics: It is important to consider is the ergonomics of your desk. You want it to be comfortable and adjustable so that you can modify the height and angle of your desk to reduce the risk of back pain, neck strain, and fatigue. If you’ve got a bad back or poor posture as a result of how you sit, you might consider a standing desk.
- Storage: You’ll also want to think about how much storage space you need. If your office is typically neat and tidy, then a basic desk with a drawer may be enough. But if you have an abundance of paperwork or supplies that need to be stored away, then opting for something with more built-in storage space is a must.
Types of Home Office Desks
Once you have an idea of your office desk needs, you’ll want to consider what type is best for you. These are some of the types of desks available:
- Traditional Desk: A traditional desk is typically rectangular in shape and usually has four legs.
- Corner Desk: A corner desk is an L-shaped desk that fits into the corner of a room.
- Floating Desk: A floating desk is essentially a wall-mounted shelf that hangs above your workspace. This is great for small spaces and can be customized to fit any area.
- Credenza Desk: A credenza desk is a combination of a filing cabinet and desk, which is perfect for extra storage space.
- Folding Desk: A folding desk easily folds away when not being used. This is perfect if you don’t need a full-time home office.
- Ladder Desk: A ladder desk is typically two-tiered and offers plenty of storage space.
Home Office Desk Styles
There are also various styles to consider when choosing an office desk, such as:
- Executive Desk: An executive desk is a large desk that typically has drawers on both sides.
- Writing Desk: A writing desk is typically a smaller desk that’s perfect for notebook computers or writing.
- Computer Desk: A computer desk is designed specifically for computers and usually features built-in storage space.
- Roll Top Desk: A roll top desk is a classic style desk that features a sliding cover so that you can hide your workspace when it’s not in use.
- Secretary Desk: A secretary desk is usually a tall, narrow desk that features drawers and shelves.
- Standing Desk: A standing desk is a taller desk (often adjustable in height) that allows you to work while standing.
How to Choose a Home Office Chair
These are a few tips to keep in mind when selecting a chair:
- Adjustable Features: Choose a chair with adjustable features such as height, lumbar support, armrests, and tilt.
- Deep Seat: A deep seat is important for proper posture and support.
- Material: The material should be breathable, moisture-wicking, and comfortable.
- Lumbar Support: Good office chairs should have adjustable lumbar support to help prevent back pain.
- Reclining Seat: A reclining seat can help you relax and take a break from work.
- Wheels: If you need to move your chair around, choose one with wheels.
Types of Home Office Chairs at a Furniture Store in Toronto
These are a few different types of office chairs available:
- Task Chairs: Task chairs are typically lightweight and adjustable, making them a great choice for everyday use.
- Ergonomic Chairs: These offer support for your back and help prevent injury.
- Drafting Chairs: Drafting chairs are adjustable in height and feature a foot ring so you can rest your feet while working.
- Accent Chairs: Accent chairs are more decorative than functional and are great for adding a touch of style to your home office as well as additional seating options.
- Executive Chairs: Executive chairs typically feature luxurious materials and are designed to provide maximum comfort.
- Folding Chairs: A folding chair is a great option for extra seating if you don’t have the space for a full-size chair.
Explore the Best Collection of Office Furniture at Carrocel
At Carrocel – furniture store Toronto, we offer a wide selection of high-quality home office furniture to suit your style and budget. From executive desks to credenza desks and more, you’ll find the perfect pieces to create a functional workspace that complements your interior design no matter what style you’re looking for.
Art Deco Macassar Executive Desk
- Luxurious Macassar woods with polished brass accenting
- Large hidden chest of drawers for extensive storage
- Art Deco Macassar Executive Desk
Modern Walnut and Black High Gloss Writing Desk
- Walnut wood grains in a high gloss espresso colour
- Accented high gloss black lacquer painted trim
- Modern Walnut and Black High Gloss Writing Desk
Mid-Century Modern Black Leather Office Chair
- New black Italian leather with a gorgeous, tufted design
- Rich dark walnut base on castors
- Mid-Century Modern Black Leather Office Chair