Quick Tips For Evaluating Antique Furniture
Are you in the market to buy antique furniture? Do you know what to look for? If you are new to this, you could end up paying more than necessary or worse, buying a piece that is not authentic. In such cases, it is best to go to antique dealers you can trust. There are many who misrepresent new furniture as genuine antiques; to an untrained eye, it is hard to tell the difference.
We have highlighted some important points to make note of while purchasing antique furniture. This is not a comprehensive guide but offers some hints to help steer you in the right direction.
10 Tips For A Quick Evaluation Of Antique Furniture:
- The dimensions of old furniture are not uniform; anything that seems perfect is probably a new piece with an old finish.
- Use a pocket level on a piece of glass or a mirror as these also warp with age; any signs of warping can give you an indication of whether or not the piece of furniture is really old or just made to look old.
- Run your hand over the surface for hairline cracks and ripples that come with aging.
- Look for discolouration or uneven colouring that is characteristic of age; uniform tones are usually a sign that the piece has been refinished.
- Build-up of dust and grime in corners and crevices are also signs of age.
- Inspect frames of chairs for signs of reupholstering; for example, nail and staple holes including those that have been filled.
- Take a look at the various pieces of wood used; differences indicate that parts may have been replaced.
- Smooth edges indicate use of a power saw as opposed to the ragged edges made by a handsaw which is more typical of older furniture.
- Examine the dovetail joints; a perfect match could mean the furniture is newer while stark differences indicate pieces have been replaced.
- Do your homework; check out reviews of the antique dealer or furniture store to learn something about their reputation.
Carrocel Restorations is a reliable source for antique furniture, and offers exceptional antique restorations and refinishing services. We have one of the largest antique and vintage furniture showrooms in Toronto and the GTA. When you visit us at Carrocel antique furniture store, not only will we help you find the furniture that suits your style and requirements, but we also protect you with a comprehensive guarantee on all our furniture and work.
Call Carrocel Restorations today at 416-999-2525 for the best antique furniture Toronto has to offer.
2 Response(s) for “Quick Tips For Evaluating Antique Furniture”
I have 2x chairs ; and would like to know if they maybe worth anything of value.
( I could send photos if that would help ; they are quite old)
Hello Julie, thank you for your comment.
We do not offer furniture appraisal services, you can try contacting auction houses to see if they could assist in researching and sourcing your item.
All the best!