Your Guide To Buying Fine Furniture In Toronto
Quality wooden furniture provides an enduring value and natural beauty to your home that is treasured for generations. If you’re in the market for fine furniture in Toronto and want to get the best value for your money, it helps to be able to judge furniture for quality. The good news is, you don’t need to be an expert to do so!
You can buy your wood furnishings with confidence when you follow these simple tips.
- Look for quality wood: Furniture manufacturers use different wood varieties such as hardwood, softwood or engineered. Generally speaking, more expensive furniture is made of fine hardwood that is scratch and dent resistant. You could also consider high quality engineered wood that provides strength and resistance to splitting or warping.
- Assess wood furniture construction: Joint construction and the sturdiness of the piece are important determinants of fine furniture. A piece that has dovetails or mortise-and-tenon joinery with reinforced corners and dust panels is likely to be high quality. If you’re looking for a chest of drawers or a desk, check for drawers that run smoothly on glides and have stops to prevent them from being pulled out.
- Look for a good finish: A great finish is the result of a painstaking sanding, staining and finishing process. Inspect the piece from different angles to check for blotchiness, scratches or an uneven tone. A high quality finished piece will have depth and richness that comes from multiple coats and is evenly finished on all sides to reduce chances of damage from dryness or moisture.
Finally, watch out for these warning signs that indicate poor workmanship:
- Furniture pieces that squeak or wobble when jostled
- Joints that are held together with staples or nails
- Backs and unexposed parts of drawers that are neglected and ill-fitting
- Poor quality staining that leaves dark visible spots and an uneven tone
- Rough spots, dust speckles or bubbles in the final finish
When you know how to buy fine furniture, you can add warmth, beauty and functionality to any space. It can be in any style you like, but the quality matters.