Selecting the Perfect Desk for Your Home Office
Questions and Considerations Regarding Size, Construction of a Home Office Desk
The proliferation of internet networks and wireless technology has unquestionably changed the way that companies operate today in contrast to just a few decades ago. Business can now be conducted at all hours of the day, seven days a week, and without any face-to-face interactions or consultations between the client/customer and the vendor/supplier (unless it is done by some form of video conferencing).
For many people, one offshoot, so to speak, of these technological advancements has been the capability to work from home rather than commuting to-and-from a physical location; this paradigm shift has aided countless people from the perspectives of work-life balance, better time management, productivity/efficiency, and a reduction in personal expenses.
Of course, one of the essential elements for success in any work-from-home environment will be the skill (discipline) to avoid the many distractions inherent in a home setting. It can prove quite challenging to maintain a regular work ethic and routine when the home theatre system, personal computer, or big-screen television are just a few steps away; for reasons like this, it is recommended that a separate/distinct area of the home be dedicated to office space – not the kitchen table, dining room table, or a makeshift counter in the basement.
To establish a truly dedicated work space, it is incumbent on the work-from-home employee to outfit their home office with the appropriate furniture; this applies whether that person is self-employed or working remotely as part of a larger enterprise. And since they will likely spend a significant amount of time in this work space, it will be important to select a desk or computer desk that:
- Fits/suits the area well
- Offers suitable functionality
- Is aesthetically appealing, and
- Provides a measure of professionalism
Hence, there will be several factors to take into consideration when choosing a home office desk; these would consist of the following:
- Type of work – primarily phone and computer work, or paperwork, files, forms, etc. too?
- Size of the desk – will often depend on the type of work and the total amount of space
- Storage needs – area for a cabinet/shelving or should the desk have integrated storage?
- Type of construction – laminate, wood, metal, glass? style/colour to match home décor?
- Ergonomics – ample leg room; clearance for chair, pull-out keyboard, equipment access
- Desk orientation – corner, centre-floor, under a window, recessed area; access to power
- Quality and stability – long-term investment; image portrayed to outside clients/visitors
- Custom options – made-to-order or built-in desk to best use limited or restricted space?
Once the decisions have been made and the questions answered, it would be beneficial to prepare/draw a floor plan of the work-from-home office and take it to a local furniture store, like Carrocel fine furniture on Bridgeland Avenue near the Yorkdale Mall. Here, this plan, in conjunction with the ideas generated from the considerations noted above, can be used as a guide while browsing the Carrocel showroom to find that perfect desk for the home office.
A Striking Selection of Home Office Desks of Various Style and Construction
The Carrocel fine furniture showroom encompasses 20,000 square feet of floor space with an exquisite collection of home and office furniture on display. For work-from-home office settings, Carrocel offers a striking selection of desks in a variety of styles and construction; these include but are not limited to:
A few examples of the high-quality home office desks on display in Carrocel’s fine furniture showroom include:
- Mid Century Walnut Demilune Desk
- Teak Leather Top Desk by John Widdicomb
- Distressed Oak Horseshoe Desk and Matching Rod Iron Chair
Product descriptions and construction information on the above pieces and additional home office desks and furniture currently available from Carrocel can be obtained by a visit to our Home Office Desks page.
For professional support on the selection of the perfect desk for your home office, Call the fine furniture specialists from Carrocel at 647-694-4683 today or Contact us to schedule a complimentary consultation. You are also invited to browse the home office desks on display in our 20,000 square-foot showroom, located at 245 Bridgeland Avenue in Toronto, at your leisure and convenience.