What to Look for When Purchasing Pieces from a Furniture Store
When you’re in the market for new quality furniture, it is important to know what to look for and what to avoid. This can help you determine whether or not the item you’re looking at will last and look nice for years to come. This guide will assist you in assessing an item’s quality before making a purchase decision.
- Beware of Nails and Glue – Items held together with nails and glue will be less durable than those with wood joints. They will not be able to hold as much weight or last as long.
- Check the Drawers And Doors – Open up the drawers and doors to make sure they are smooth, close evenly, and pull all the way out without getting caught. Check to see that the handles and knobs are attached securely.
- Learn the Wood Types – Generally, wooden furniture falls into three types: particleboard or composite, veneers, and solid wood. If you choose solid wood, know that it will be more expensive, but can look better. It will, however, be susceptible to scratches and rings left from wet glasses. Veneers consist of an inexpensive wood core covered in thin layers of higher quality wood. Particleboard is the cheapest material, and while it looks nice, it will likely not last long.
- Check the Legs – Furniture legs should be jointed to the frame and not nailed. Wooden legs are ideal, as plastic, metal and rubber can damage your floors. High-quality sofas will also often have an additional fifth leg in the middle for extra support.
- Choose Realistic Colours – While you may be in love with a particular colour right now, you may change your mind in the future. This is why it helps to choose neutral colours for big items such as sofas.
- Feel the Cushions – The cushions should have a matching cover on both sides and be filled properly. The matching sides will allow you to flip the cushions over every few months and result in even wear. Removable cushion covers that are easy to wash are ideal.
- Test the Springs – Coiled springs will provide a firmer feel while zigzag coils give a softer feel. Be sure to remove the cushions and press on the springs to test how they feel and their ability to bounce back.
- Think About Your Lifestyle – Choose colours and fabrics that suit your life. For example, if you have children or pets, you may not want to choose light and easily stained materials.
The Good and Bad Things to Look Out For
- Dovetail, mortise, & tenon joints are the best. Other good options include reinforcing corner blocks, dowels and screws.
- Avoid items with staples, visible glue and nails.
- Be sure the frame sits level with the floor and is even.
- Avoid items that twist, wobble, or make sounds when you sit on them.
- Patterns should line up nicely, and skirts should be lined and weighted.
- Avoid items with minimal padding in the back and arms.
Visit Our Showroom to See Our Quality Furniture Pieces
At Carrocel, we have an extensive selection of luxurious, quality furniture that helps to furnish every room in your home. To view our items or speak with our friendly, helpful staff, visit our 20,000 square-foot showroom, located at 245 Bridgeland Avenue in central Toronto. You can also view our online product catalogue for a full selection of our stock.