How To Value And Sell Your Antique Chairs And Other Vintage Furniture
Antique chairs and other types of vintage furniture not only add character and charm to your home, they can also fetch sizable returns. Keeping them in good condition helps maintain their value. Also remember that a true investment is an antique that is more than hundred years old. Anything that is less than that is considered a collectible.
Some tips on how to value and sell your antique chairs or vintage furniture:
- Take Good Care Of Your Antiques: Prevent easy damage from spills, scratches and bumps; treat them well.
- Refinishing And Repairs Should Only Be Done By An Expert: Do not attempt to do this yourself. Part of the value of antique furniture is determined by the changes that occur in the aging process. Removing old paint or finish may destroy the charm and value of the piece.
- Have Your Antique Furniture Professionally Appraised: This gives you a good idea of the value both for insurance and resale purposes (so that you do not undersell).
- Do Not Have Them Appraised By The Buyer: Unless you know and absolutely trust the buyer. You could end up getting cheated.
- Establish A Relationship With An Antique Dealer When Selling Your Antiques: Pick a trustworthy and reputable dealer with years of experience in the business.
- Plan On Getting A Third Of What The Dealer Can Sell It For: Not the original listing! Understand that the dealer must take into account overhead costs as well. If you choose to sell on eBay, Craig’s List or Etsy, for example, remember that the competition can be stiff.
- Set The Price Carefully: The value typically depends on the economy, the region where you are attempting to buy or sell the piece, whether or not someone will actually want to purchase the item and if similar items are available in the shop right down the street or online.
- Pay Attention To The Contract Terms: Some dealers and consignment shops lower the price drastically if the item does not sell in a specified amount of time. Be sure that you are comfortable with the lowered price.
If you are interested in getting your antique chairs or other vintage furniture appraised or sold, call Carrocel fine furniture store today at 416-999-2525.
We provide comprehensive quality guarantees on our furniture and restoration or refinishing work.