How to Identify an Antique Dining Table
There are small, yet important differences between an antique table and one that is simply made to look old. From the historic reproduction to the craftsmanship, it is important to know what makes an antique dining room table a vintage piece of furniture.
While it is always best to consult an expert, there are things you can look for in dining room tables to make sure they are in fact antiques.
Antique Dining Room Tables—What to Look for
There are five things that will help you identify authentic, antique furniture pieces. These include:
- Design – Sometimes all you have to do is consider the design of the table. Do not assume something that has a “modern” feel isn’t an antique. In fact, old Shaker dining room tables have clean, smooth lines, but are still antique. You can tell if the table is antique by looking for dovetailed joints or mortise and tenon joints.
- Period – Every period has its own furniture style. These styles help you determine if the table is a true antique. You can examine authenticity by looking at furniture-artist signatures, the leg and feet styles or the joints holding the pieces together.
- Woods – Antique dining tables are heavy because they are constructed from solid wood. There are no manufactured components and often feature oak, poplar, walnut, pine, maple, mahogany or other solid woods. Veneered woods were also common with antique furniture items.
- Legs and Feet – The legs and feet can identify the period. For example, feet that resemble pads or claws holding a ball are part of the Queen Anne period which went from 1720 to 1760.
- Construction – Hardware used to be made by hand back in the day. So, older antique tables will have handmade hardware elements. Also, the table edges and aprons may include hand-carved designs such as roses, flowers, leaves, sunbursts or shells.
Finding Antique Dining Room Tables for Your Home
All it takes is visiting a retailer that understands antiques. Carrocel high end furniture store has a showroom full of antique furniture items, including dining room tables. Each table has been inspected for authenticity and if necessary, restored to look as beautiful as the day it was originally crafted.