Finding the Perfect Dining Room Table in Toronto
When you begin looking for a new dining room table, it’s best to start with determining the shape, size, style and material that you’re looking for. If that sounds like it could be overwhelming and you’re unsure about how to start, here is a guide.
Choosing the shape of your table should, in part, be influenced by the size and shape of your dining space. If you have a small dining area, a round or square table will help make the most of the space. If you have a longer, more narrow room, choose an oval or rectangular table.
The size you need your table to be is determined by two factors: how much space you have available and how many people will be sitting at it. When placing the table in the room, you should leave 3-4 feet of space between the table and the walls. This ensures there is enough space to walk around the table and also leaves space to be able to pull out the chairs. If you need more space on occasion, consider buying a table that has leaves or extensions you can add on as needed.
Tables tend to come in three heights. Standard height is between 28-30”, counter height is often around 36”, and pub tables are typically between 40-42”.
There are a variety of materials used for dining tables. Each will provide a different look, so establish the look you’re going for and pick the material that best suits it.
- Wood – Wood is the most common material used to construct dining room tables. It is easy to update or refresh with a stain or coat of paint. The weathered look is also quite popular currently. Overall, wood is a good material for long-term use.
- Metal – Tables with a metal top are quite durable but can easily become corroded or patinated. They provide a mode industrial feel to the room.
- Marble – Marble adds a high-end feel to your room. It is porous, which means it requires regular care. A spill on a marble table can lead to staining after a few minutes.
- Glass – Tables with glass tops look sleek and modern and are easy to maintain and clean. While there is the potential for these tables to break if they are stacked with heavy objects or hit, the glass is tempered, meaning it won’t shatter.
There are a variety of styles available for dining tables. Be sure to choose one that matches your style and the rest of the décor in your home as well. Some of the most popular styles are as follows:
- Farmhouse – Typically wooden, farmhouse tables have a slightly more distressed top, often unfinished, and feature carved or X shaped legs. They best suit relaxed casual spaces.
- Traditional – Traditional tables are often made from wood with rounded or carved legs. They are typically varnished or finished with a high-shine stain. They suit any dining space.
- Pedestal – A pedestal table consists of a single base in the center of the table instead of the more traditional four legs. It is most commonly seen in round tables, although square or rectangular options are also available.
- Parsons – This style is very simple, with straight lines and angular corners. It works best with modern or transitional décor styles.
- Midcentury – Midcentury tables are often a combination of various woods and feature tapered legs.
- Contemporary – These tables incorporate various sculptural elements and use a variety of materials. They tend to look best when placed with décor that is also modern or contemporary.
Find A Dining Table to Suit Your Space at Carrocel
If you can’t find the table you want, consider instead purchasing a custom dining table from Carrocel. For more information, call us at 416-999-2525. To view our current selection of available furniture, visit our showroom located at 245 Bridgeland Avenue in central Toronto, or browse our online product catalogue.
Carrocel Custom Porcelain Dining Table
- Geometric antique brass finished base
- Black lacquered tapered wood edge
- Carrocel Custom Porcelain Dining Table
Round Black Oak Dining Table with Bottle Neck Base
- Distinct and timeless design
- Blend of modern and transitional reference
- Round Black Oak Dining Table with Bottle Neck Base
Carrocel Custom Macassar Ebony Dining Table
- Exotic macassar ebony veneer
- Double U pedestal with sloped block-layered plinth bases
- Carrocel Custom Macassar Ebony Dining Table